Matosavank monastery complex

The monastery complex of Matosavank is located opposite Jukhtakvank, on a forested slope 3.5 km west of Dilijan.

The complex consists of three small buildings adjacent to each other, the Church of the Holy Mother of God, the narthex, and the book depository.

The Church of the Holy Mother of God (Surb Astvatsatsin) was built in 1205 and is a small structure covered with a vault. Two khachkars have been preserved on both sides of the entrance. Under the wall of the church, in the northern part, there is another skillfully made khachkar dating back to 1251.

The narthex and the book depository also have a vault-roofing. The exact date of their foundation is unknown.

To date, the interior walls of the temple are completely covered with moss. The collapsed dome is missing. For 800 years of its existence, the temple is so blended with its surroundings that tourists may just fail to notice it.

Fill out the form